Sunday 16 March 2014

The Spring Knitting and Stitching Show - March 2014

Hello Ladies and Gents and how are you on this glorious March day! The sun is shining, the sky is blue... maybe spring is finally on its way :)

Last week, Husbandy and I were on vacation and we planned the days to make the most out of the March sunshine. On Friday we wanted to stay in London, so I decided to head to the Spring Knitting and Stitching Show in Olympia. It's an event held for the keen knitters and sewers over four days with numerous stands as well as free courses and other courses and workshops. I wanted to go last year as that is when my passion for sewing started, but sadly couldn't make it. However, all change for this year, so armed with my crochet hook, yarn and money I got on the bus and travelled to Olympia, West London.


On arrival I asked where to purchase a ticket. The man ushered me to the queue and I waited patiently with all the other excited people wondering what treats were in store. Before I got to the front this lovely lady gave me a complimentary ticket! This made my day and also meant I had more spending money inside! I thanked her numerous times and went on into the event.

The first thing I did was buy a programme so I could suss out where the knitting stands were. I know I'm into sewing but I'm currently undertaking a top secret crochet project so before I embark on sewing again, I thought I best stick to the current project in hand. With the stands identified I wondered around - glancing at the stands and
Goodies!
talking to the people running them. After a first walk through, I spotted the Quilters Guild - I chatted to them for a while and bought a raffle ticket as there was a stunning quilt as the first prize (sadly I didn't win). They were also letting people try machine quilting and the piece you made went to the Project Linus UK. I stitched some pieces together and now know my next project will be a quilt for my bed :)


After wondering around again, I went back to one stand called Woolie Batt that sold British made wool. I loved the fact this wool is sheared, woven and spun in Britain - a truly British made item from start to finish. I also loved the fact it showed the breed of sheep next to the yarn. It was a delight to see undyed yarn showing the wools natural beauty. I'm currently using Debbie Bliss blue faced leicester double knit for my top secret project and now pleased to be using Double Knit Organic Hampshire Down Wool too - delightful :)


British Wool!
After my purchase I went to a crochet group and made granny squares! It was pleasing to see people of all ages sitting together making granny squares. I also picked up a really handy guide on how to crochet - although I will need to teach myself the English abbreviations on how to crochet as I've been learning the American way! I couldn't resist the offer to sign up to the Simply Crochet magazine... I can't wait for the next issue to give me some great hints and tips!

All in all I had a great day just looking at all the yummy fabrics and delicious yarns. There was also displays of people's work - all very creative and inspirational. I'm glad I went and to all those novices I would recommend going to future events!

Happy Knitting and Stitching x

No comments:

Post a Comment